Author/Illustrator: Kevin Henkes
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Year: 2008
Brief Summary: Old Bear goes to sleep for the winter and dreams about when he was a little cub.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Excellence in Children’s Literature, 2009 Honor Book Picture Book United States
Charlotte Zolotow Award, 2009 Highly Commended United States
Elizabeth Burr/Worzalla Award, 2009 Outstanding Book United States
Mind the Gap Award, 2009 Best use of lots of colors United Statesundefined
Parents’ Choice Award, 2008 Recommended Picture Books United States
A Baker’s Dozen: The Best Children’s Books for Family Literacy, 2009 ; Pennsylvania Center for the Book
Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2009 ; Bank Street College of Education
Booklist Book Review Stars , Jun. 1, 2008 ; American Library Association
Capitol Choices, 2009 ; The Capitol Choices Committee
Children’s Catalog Supplement to Nineteenth Edition, 2009 ; H. W. Wilson Company
Choices, 2009 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
Horn Book Fanfare, 2008 ; Horn Book
Notable Children’s Books, 2009 ; ALSC American Library Association
Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, July 7, 2008 ; Cahners
School Library Journal Best Books, 2008 ; Cahners
School Library Journal Book Review Stars, September 2008 ; Cahners
State Provisional Reading List:
Virginia Readers’ Choice Award, 2009-2010; Nominee
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library:
- Discussion of hibernation. What does it mean? What animals hibernate? Why do you think they hibernate? Do you know that some plants “hibernate” too?
- Seasons — study each page and the details in the illustrations… What do we associate with each seasons — colors, activities, plants that pop up or fall, etc.
- Review colors with younger students
- Have child write about their favorite season and illustrate.
- Have child write a “memoir” about when they were “young”. Will be fun to read especially with younger students.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Science — hibernations, seasons
- Art – colors
- Text-to-self connections
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library