When I was Young and in the Mountains
Author: Cynthia Rylant
Illustrator: Diane Goode
Publisher: Dutton Children’s Books
Publication Year: 1982
Brief Summary: Inspired by the memories of her childhood in Appalachia, Cynthia Rylant writes, in her first book,h about what it was like to live in the mountains with her grandparents and other relatives.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
Randolph Caldecott Medal, 1983 Honor Book United States
Books to Read Aloud to Children of All Ages, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
State Provisional Reading List:
- Do you have some favorite childhood memories or tradition that you and your family keep? Start each sentence with “When I was young…” Share with classmates.
- Author study on Cynthia Rylant
- Other books about Appalachia life
- Discussion about different types of communities. What kind of community does the narrator describe? (Rural) What is this community different or similar to yours? (In the book, you have to get water from the well, go to the general store for food, etc.)
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Text-to-text connections
- Text-to-self connections
- Social studies: types of communities
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc. Lesson plan/autho study on Brain Pop Jr. http://www.brainpopjr.com/readingandwriting/authors/cynthiarylant/grownups.weml
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library