Officer Buckle and Gloria
Author/Illustrator: Peggy Rathmann
Publication Year: 1995
Brief Summary: Officer Buckle works together with police dog Gloria to bring safety rules to children, learning a big lesson himself along the way.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- ABC Children’s Booksellers Choices Award, 1996 Winner Picture Books United States
- Bay Area Book Reviewers Association Award, 1996 Winner Children’s Literature United States
- Florida Reading Association’s Children’s Book Award, 1997 Winner Grades PreK-2 Florida
- Golden Archer Award, 1997 Winner Primary Wisconsin
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award, 1997 Winner K-3 Kentucky
- M. Jerry Weiss Book Award, 1999 Winner Grades K-3 New Jersey
- North Carolina Children’s Book Award, 1997 Winner Picture North Carolina
- Parents’ Choice Award, 1995 Silver Picture Books United States
- Pennsylvania Young Readers’ Choice Award, 1997 Winner K-3 Pennsylvania
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 1996 Winner United States
- SMART Book Award, 2006 Nominee United States
- A Few Good Books, 1995 ; Book Links
- Adventuring with Books: A Booklist for PreK-Grade 6, 12th Edition, 1999 ; National Council of Teachers of English
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 1995 ; American Library Association
- Books to Read Aloud to Children of All Ages, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Educators’ Top 100 Children’s Books, 2007 ; NEA Survey
- Los Angeles’ 100 Best Books, 1995 ; IRA Children’s Literature and Reading SIG and the Los Angeles Unified School District
- Notable Children’s Books, 1996 ; American Library Association ALSC
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, July 1995 ; Cahners
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, September 1995 ; Cahners
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award, 1997; Nominee
- Texas Reading Club, 1998; Texas
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library:
- Look at the endpapers of the book…what are some safety tips from Gloria? What kind of safety rules do we have at school, at home, in the community?
- Study the pictures in this book… Why do you think the children are all of a sudden paying attention?
- Discuss teamwork. Give examples of how teamwork sometimes make a project easier or better? Do you like working in teams or by yourself? What are the advantages or disadvantages of either?
- Why do you think Officer Buckle feel bad when he saw the video? Have you ever felt like he did? What did you do to make yourself feel better?
- Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. What are Officer Buckle’s strengths? How about Gloria? How did they use their strengths and work together? Thinking about your own strengths and weaknesses…who in your classroom can you pair up so your strengths complement each other?
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Text-to-self connections
- Social studies: team work, community working together, safety rules, etc.
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc. N/A
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library