Just a Minute: A Trickster Tale and Counting Book
Author/Illustrator: Yuyi Morales
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Publication Year: 2003
Brief Summary: Learn how to count in English and Spanish as Grandma Beetle stalls Senor Calavera, who arrives to take her way on the day of her birthday.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Americas Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature, 2003 Winner United States
- California Book Awards, 2003 Silver Medal Juvenile United States
- Golden Kite Award, 2004 Honor Picture Book Illustration United States
- Latino Book Awards, 2004 Winner Best Children’s Picture Book-English United States
- Northern California Book Award, 2004 Nominee Children’s Literature United States
- Parents’ Choice Award, 2003 Approved Picture Book United States
- Pura Belpre Award, 2004 Winner Illustrator United States
- Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award, 2004 Winner Texas
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2004 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Booklist Book Review Stars, Dec. 1, 2003 ; American Library Association
- Capitol Choices, 2004 ; The Capitol Choices Committee
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Choices, 2004 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Kirkus Book Review Stars, October 15, 2003
- Notable Children’s Books, 2004 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Special Interest Group of the International Reading Association, 2004 ; Special Interest Group of the International Reading Association
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library:
- counting in English and Spanish; have kids make a bilingual number mini-book
- look into Mexican culture…how does this family celebrate a birthday? How is this different from how we celebrate birthdays? Do you have special birthday traditions in your house?
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Social studies: Mexican culture
- Math: counting
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library