Author/Illustrator: Ezra Jack Keats
Publication Year: 1998
Brief Summary: Peter, Archie, and Willie find a pair of motorcycle goggles and must keep it out of the hands of the neighborhood bullies.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 1970 Honor Book United States
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library:
- Talk about bullying. What does it look like? What are some ways we can cope with bullies? Why do bullies do it? How does it feel when you’re bullied? What are some ways you and your friends can help prevent bullying or help someone who you know is being bullied?
- Work with school counselor if there is one, or invite a policeman to come give a talk; pair with other books about bullying.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Text-to-self connections
- Text-to-world connections
- Social studies: building better community; social issue – bullying
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Signal Mountain Library