Arrow to the Sun: A Pueblo Indian Tale
Author/Illustrator: Gerald McDermott
Publisher: Viking Press
Publication Year: 1976
Brief Summary: A retelling of the Pueblo Indian myth about how the Lord of the Sun sent his son to live amongst men.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 1975 Winner United States
- Books to Read Aloud to Children of All Ages, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
- Discussion on legends/myths: what characteristics are associated with this genre
- Pay attention to the boldness, color, and lines of Pueblo art. What geometric lines and shapes do students recognize? Have children draw their favorite animal using this style.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Language arts: legends/myths
- Art – colors
- Math – geometric shapes
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Signal Mountain Library