Author/Illustrator: Kevin Henkes
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Year: 1991
Brief Summary: Chrysanthemum used to love her name, but when her classmates start teasing her about it, she’s not so sure any more.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- ABC Children’s Booksellers Choices Award, 1992 Winner Picture Books United States
- SMART Book Award, 2002 Nominee United States
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Educators’ Top 100 Children’s Books, 2007 ; NEA Survey
- Horn Book Fanfare, 1991 ; Horn Book
- Kirkus Book Review Stars, 1991
- Notable Children’s Books, 1992 ; Association for Library Service to Children
- Outstanding Books by Wisconsin Authors and Illustrators, 1992 ; Wisconsin Library Association
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
- School Library Journal Best Books, 1991 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library:
- This could be a beginning-of-the-year book to read. Talk about bullying/teasing and how that affect kids. Why do you think Chrysanthemum “wilt”? What eventually made her feel better?
- Do you like your name? Do you know what it means? Have students research their names or discuss how you got it? (Named after someone? Special reason?)
- Pair with reader theater texts and have kids put on their own play.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Social studies: social awareness/bullying
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Personal Library