Author/Illustrator: Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Publication Year: 2012
Brief Summary: With bold, acrylic paint, Seeger explores many different shades of green, with cutouts revealing surprises from the page before.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 2013 Honor Book United States
- Booklist Book Review Stars, May 1, 2012 ; American Library Association
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 2012 ; American Library Association
- Choices, 2013 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Horn Book Fanfare, 2012 ; Horn Book
- Kirkus Best Children’s Books, 2012
- Kirkus Book Review Stars, February 15, 2012
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, March 2012 ; Cahners
- Review the vocabulary words for different shades of green. Can students think of others, or examples to go with each word?
- Art: Get several shades of green from craft stores and have children make their own mini book using those colors. Encourage children to mix colors to get even more shades. Label each page with an example of something that is that shade of green.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Language arts – color vocabulary
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: B&N