Harry the Dirty Dog
Author: Gene Zion
Illustrator: Margaret Bloy Graham
Publisher: Harper & Row
Publication Year: 1956
Brief Summary: After a day of adventures, Harry, a white dog with black spots, turned into a black dog with white spots.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Books to Read Aloud to Children of All Ages, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Write about a day where you had the same kind of fun as Harry did. Do you like playing in the dirt/mud? Why or why not?
- Give kids templates of Harry and have them color him in.
- Have kids draw a timeline of Harry’s day.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- Language arts
- Math – timelines
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library