The Ugly Duckling
Author/Illustrator: adapted and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney
Publication Year: 1999
Brief Summary: Jerry Pinkney adapts the classic story by Hans Christian Andersen, about an ugly duckling that turns into a beautiful swan.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 2000 Honor Book United States
- Redbook Children’s Picturebook Award, 1990 Winner United States
- White Ravens Award, 2000 Winner United States United States
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2000 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Booklist Book Review Stars, March 1, 1999 ; American Library Association
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 1999 ; American Library Association
- Books to Read Aloud to Children of All Ages, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Capitol Choices, 1999 ; The Capitol Choices Committee
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Literature Choice List, 2000 ; Children’s Literature
- Los Angeles’ 100 Best Books, 1999 ; IRA Children’s Literature and Reading SIG and the Los Angeles Unified School District
- Notable Children’s Books, 2000 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, February 1999 ; Cahners
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, May 1999 ; Cahners
- What is the moral of the story?
- Do you sometimes judge someone by how they look? How do you think that would make you feel, if someone did the same to you? Discuss bullying and its effects, possibly working together with the school counselor.
Brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core/etc.
- text-to-self connections
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc. Facts vs. fiction notes at the end of the book
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library