A Visitor for Bear
Author/Illustrator: Bonny Becker
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication Year: 2008
Brief Summary: A disgruntled bear tries his best to keep a determined mouse out, but eventually lets him in. A beautiful friendship develops.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Cybil Award, 2008 Finalist Fiction Picture Books United States
- E.B. White Read Aloud Award, 2009 Winner Picture Book United States
- ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award, 2008 Gold Children’s Picture Book United States
- Golden Kite Award, 2009 Award Book Picture Book Text United States
- Wanda Gag Book Award, 2009 Honor Book Read Aloud Toddler to Age 8 United States
- Amazon Editors’ Picks: Top 10 Books, 2008
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2009 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Bulletin Blue Ribbons, 2008 ; The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books
- Capitol Choices, 2009 ; The Capitol Choices Committee
- Choices, 2009 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- First and Best, 2008 ; Toronto Public Library
- Kids Reading List, 2008 ; Oprah/ALSC ; New Releases
- Notable Children’s Books, 2009 ; ALSC American Library Association
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, February 2008 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Why doesn’t the bear want to have visitors? What changes his mind?
- Do you sometimes not want to do something at first, but then once you did it, you’re glad you did? Give an example and write about it.
- Read this with Green Eggs and Ham, another book about someone changing his mind at the end of the book.
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library