Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride: Based on a True Story
Author/Illustrator: Pam Muanoz Ryan
Publication Year: 1999
Brief Summary: A glimpse into the friendship between Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- ABC Children’s Booksellers Choices Award, 2000 Winner Non-Fiction United States
- American Booksellers Book Sense Book of the Year (ABBY) Award, 2000 Finalist Children United States
- NAIBA Book Awards, 2000 Winner United States
- Adventuring with Books: A Booklist for PreK-Grade 6, 13th Edition, 2002 ; National Council of Teachers of English
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2000 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Capitol Choices, 1999 ; The Capitol Choices Committee
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Literature Choice List, 2000 ; Children’s Literature
- Los Angeles’ 100 Best Books, 1999 ; IRA Children’s Literature and Reading SIG and the Los Angeles Unified School District
- Notable Children’s Books, 2000 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, 2000 ; National Council for the Social Studies NCSS
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, September 1999 ; Cahners
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
- Teachers’ Choices, 2000 ; International Reading Association
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Social Studies: Discuss the lives of Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt; pair with informational books. What are some key events in their lives?
- Why do you think the two women were such good friends?
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library