Illustrated: Bagram Ibatoulline
Publication Year: 2009
Brief Summary: A little girl gets reacquainted with her father after he returns from the war.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2010 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Booklist Book Review Stars , Oct. 15, 2009 ; American Library Association
- Children’s Choices, 2010 ; International Reading Association
- Choices, 2010 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Notable Children’s Books, 2010 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Books, 2009
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, September 28, 2009 ; Cahners
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, October 2009 ; Cahners
- Teachers’ Choices, 2010 ; International Reading Association
- What would it be like if your dad has to leave and serve in the war? Why do you think Liz is unsure how to talk to her dad?
- Informational books about wars — how did it affect families?
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library