Hondo and Fabian
Author/Illustrator: Peter McCarty
Publisher: Henry Holt
Publication Year: 2002
Brief Summary: Hondo the dog and Fabian the cat spend the day apart having different sorts of adventures, but come together at the end of the day to enjoy each other’s company.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 2003 Honor Book United States
- New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Books of the Year, 2002 Winner United States
- Please Touch Museum Book Award, 2003 Winner Ages 0-3 United States
- Society of Illustrators Original Art Award, 2002 Gold Medal United States
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, Supplement, 2003 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Literature Choice List, 2002 ; Children’s Literature
- Notable Children’s Books, 2002 ; New York Times
- Notable Children’s Books, 2003 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Books, 2002 ; Cahners
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, February 25, 2002 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Discuss pets…Do you have pets and what kind? What do you they do during the day while you’re at school? What do you do with a dog that might be different than a cat?
- Do you think Hondo and Fabian are good friends? How can you tell?
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library