Author/Illustrator: Ludwig Bemelmans
Publication Year: 1960
Brief Summary: Madeline, a little girl at a French boarding school, is sent to the hospital after a bout with appendicitis.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Indies Choice Picture Book Hall of Fame, 2009 Finalist United States
- Books to Read Aloud to Children of All Ages, 2003 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001 ; H.W. Wilson
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, 2006 ; H.W. Wilson
- Not Just for Children Anymore!, 2001 ; Children’s Book Council
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
- Math: counting the little girls
- Point out famous French landmarks
- Discuss friendship — how do we know Madeline’s friends care about her?
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library