The Funny Little Woman
Author: retold by Arlene Mosel
Illustrator: Blair Lent
Publication Year: 1972
Brief Summary: A retelling of a Japanese folklore where a little lady tricks demons, steals their magic rice paddle, and become one of the richest women in Japan.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) Honor List, 1974′ ‘ Winner’ ‘ Illustration’ ‘ International’
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 1973′ ‘ Winner’, United States
- Recommended Literature: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve, 2002 ; California Department of Education
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Discuss folklore and its characteristics.
- Social studies: Japanese culture, religion
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library