Chicka Chicka ABC
Author: Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
Illustrator: Lois Ehlert
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Year: 1989
Brief Summary: A beloved classic in which letters of the alphabet try to beat each other to the top of a coconut tree.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- ABC Children”s Booksellers Choices Award, 1994′ ‘ Winner’ ‘ Babies and Toddlers’ ‘ United States’ ”
- ‘ALA Notable Book;
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Award;
- IRA Children’s Choice Book
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Language Arts: Review ABC with younger students. Assign letters to each student (give them their letters on an index card), then have them rearrange themselves into ABC order.
- Find rhyming pairs in the story
- Bulletin board or felt board display
- Text-to-text: read with Chicka Chicka 123
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Thrasher Elementary Library