Electric Ben: the Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
Author/Illustrator: Robert Byrd
Publication Year: 2012
Brief Summary: Byrd’s beautiful and colorful illustrations and detailed text take readers through the life and times of Benjamin Franklin.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal, 2013′ ‘ Honor Book’ ” ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Booklist Book Review Stars , Oct. 15, 2012 ; American Library Association
- Horn Book Fanfare, 2012 ; Horn Book
- Kirkus Best Children’s Books, 2012
- Kirkus Book Review Stars, August 15, 2012
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, August 20, 2012 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Discuss some of the quotes found on the endpapers of the book. Older students can pick one and write a short essay about it, or write a fable based on it.
- Discuss the life of Benjamin Franklin and some of the important facts in the book. Have students pick 10 events from the timeline that particularly stood out.
- Pair with more traditional informational books on Ben Franklin. Which appeals more to the students?
- Good for older readers.
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Capilano Library