Can We Save the Tiger?
Author/Illustrator: Martin Jenkins/Vicky White
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication Year: 2011
Brief Summary: This beautifully-illustrated and touchingly-written book implores readers to think about how human actions might affect the animals whom we share the planet with.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Excellence in Children”s Literature, 2011′ ‘ Honor Book’ ‘ Nonfiction’ ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Cybil Award, 2011′ ‘ Finalist’ ‘ Nonfiction Picture Book’ ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Kate Greenaway Medal, 2012′ ‘ Shortlist’ ” ‘ United Kingdom’ ” ‘
- Mind the Gap Award, 2012′ ” ‘ Best animal survival stories’ ‘ United States’ ” ‘undefined
- Parents” Choice Award, 2011′ ‘ Gold Medal’ ‘ Nonfiction’ ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Choices, 2012 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Horn Book Fanfare, 2011 ; Horn Book
- Kirkus Best Children’s Books, 2011
- Kirkus Book Review Stars, January 1, 2011
- New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing, 2011 ; New York Public Library
- Notable Children’s Books, 2012 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12, 2012 ; National Science Teachers Association
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, January 3, 2011 ; Cahners
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2011
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, March 2011 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Why do some animals become endangered/extinct? e.g. human actions, through disease transferred by other animals, etc.
- What are some ways our actions affect the animals and cause them to be endangered/extinct? e.g. by hunting them, by introducing predator into their habitat, etc.
- What are some things we can do to help save the animals?
- Take a field trip to a nature center and learn about animal conservation efforts.
- Select one of the animals/plants discussed in the book and conduct further research. Provide concrete ways we can help.
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc. Additional web resources provided in the back; index
Accessed at: Capilano Library