One Cool Friend
Author: Tony Buzzeo
Illustrator: David Small
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Publication Year: 2012
Brief Summary: Elliot, a very proper boy, visits the aquarium, falls in love with the penguins, and brings one home.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Randolph Caldecott Medal, 2013′ ‘ Honor Book’ ” ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Choices, 2013 ; Cooperative Children’s Book Center
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, October 31, 2011 ; Cahners
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, February 2012 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Research different kinds of penguins and read other penguin books (fiction and non-fiction). Study Ferdinand Magellan and his explorations.
- Study penguin habitats. Would Elliot’s home be the proper place for a penguin? What does Elliot do to stimulate this habitat?
- Were you surprised that Elliot’s dad had a real turtle? What are some clues on the preceding pages?
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc.
Accessed at: Capilano Library