Author/Illustrator: Brian Floca
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Publication Year: 2007
Brief Summary: Learn about lightships, which serve as lighthouses where they cannot be built, guiding sailors safely through bad weather.
Awards, Honors and Prizes:
- Cybil Award, 2007′ ‘ Winner’ ‘ Non-fiction Picture Book’ ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal, 2008′ ‘ Honor Book’ ” ‘ United States’ ” ‘
- Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2008 ; Bank Street College of Education
- Booklist Book Review Stars , Feb. 1, 2007 ; American Library Association
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Top of the List, 2007 ; American Library Association ; Winner
- Capitol Choices, 2008 ; The Capitol Choices Committee
- Children’s Catalog, Nineteenth Edition, Supplement, 2007 ; H.W. Wilson
- Kirkus Book Review Stars, January 15, 2007
- Notable Children’s Books, 2008 ; ALSC American Library Association
- Publishers Weekly Book Review Stars, January 29, 2007 ; Cahners
- School Library Journal Book Review Stars, April 2007 ; Cahners
Ideas for using this book in classroom or library and/or brief notes on curriculum connections/content learning standards/Common Core, etc.:
- Discuss lightships — what are they and what purpose do they serve? How are they similar/different from other ships?
- Discuss various roles different sailors play on the ship. Is anyone more important than another? Talk about how even the seemingly insignificant roles are important…relate to how even though everyone’s different, we all play an important part in our community.
Special features included (if applicable) — index; timeline; author’s notes; further reading; etc. Author’s notes in the back with more information about lightships. A picture of lightship with labelled parts on the end-papers.
Accessed at: Capilano Library